This page describes the how to submit changes into a repository of the OpenMRS organization.
- First create an account on the OpenMRS Atlassian if you don't have one already.
- Find out the ticket for the required functionality in the OpenMRS JIRA or create a new one. https://issues.openmrs.org
- Once the ticket status is "Ready for Work", claim the issue.
- Fork the concerned repository from the OpenMRS organization to your own GitHub account if it is not yet forked already (see help.github.com).
Open up a terminal window and enter the following commands to create a new development branch
# Store the repository and ticket to be worked on in variables
OPENMRS_REPO_NAME="" # e.g. "openmrs-core"
OPENMRS_TICKET_ID="" # e.g. "TRUNK-4445"
GITHUB_ACCOUNT="" # e.g. "jdoe"
# Checkout the repository
git clone https://github.com/$GITHUB_ACCOUNT/$OPENMRS_REPO_NAME
# Add the connection to the OpenMRS repository
git remote add upstream https://github.com/openmrs/$OPENMRS_REPO_NAME
# Update your master branch
git pull upstream master
# Checkout a new development branch
git checkout -b $OPENMRS_TICKET_ID
Commit your changes into git and push them to your GitHub account.
# Review your changes and then submit them
git add .
git commit # see example commit message: https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-core/commit/9fd5bafcd8ea4d807a5c5038de53b322828f2317
# Push your branch to GitHub
git push origin $OPENMRS_TICKET_ID
- Once you think you are done with the story, request a code review from another Bahmni developer.
- Raise a pull request on the concerned repository in the OpenMRS organization and use the correct branch name for the same (see help.github.com).
- Change the status of the card on the OpenMRS JIRA and add a comment to the card with a link to the pull request raised.
- Wait for feedback from the OpenMRS community.